Also found in: Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Impervious to or unaffected by water.
2. Made of or coated or treated with rubber, plastic, or a sealing agent to prevent penetration by water.
1. A material or fabric that is impervious to water.
2. Chiefly British A raincoat or other such outer garment.
tr.v. wa·ter·proofed, wa·ter·proof·ing, wa·ter·proofs
To make impervious to water.
2. (Clothing & Fashion) Brit a waterproof garment, esp a raincoat
3. (Textiles) to make (a fabric, item of clothing, etc) waterproof
wa•ter•proof(ˈwɔ tərˌpruf, ˈwɒt ər-)
1. impervious to water.
2. rendered impervious to water by some special process, as coating with rubber.n.
3. Chiefly Brit. a raincoat or other outer coat impervious to water.
4. any fabric specially processed to be impervious to water.v.t.
5. to make waterproof.
Past participle: waterproofed
|Noun||1.||waterproof - any fabric impervious to water|
|2.||waterproof - a water-resistant coat |
Burberry - a lightweight belted raincoat typically made of tan gabardine with a distinctive tartan lining; named for the original manufacturer
coat - an outer garment that has sleeves and covers the body from shoulder down; worn outdoors
trench coat - a military style raincoat; belted with deep pockets
|Verb||1.||waterproof - make watertight; "Waterproof the coat"|
|Adj.||1.||waterproof - not permitting the passage of water|
tight - of such close construction as to be impermeable; "a tight roof"; "warm in our tight little house"
oilskins, oilies (informal) He was wearing waterproofs over his clothes.
waterproof[ˈwɔːtərpruːf] adj (= material, watch) → etanche (= clothing, groundsheet) → impermeable
Is this jacket waterproof? → Ce blouson est-il impermeable?
a waterproof watch → une montre etanche
water rat n → rat m d'eau
water rates npl → prix m de l'eau
water-repellent [ˌwɔːtərrɪˈzɪstənt] adj → hydrofuge
water-resistant [ˌwɔːtərrɪˈpɛlənt] adj [material] → resistant(e) a l'eau